Avocados are nature’s gift to us! They not only taste good and are good for you, but their beauty benefits are phenomenal. The creamy superfood contains high amounts of healthy, monounsaturated fatty acids and is also rich in vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and potassium. Besides their culinary uses, avocados are great for the skin and hair.
1) Combats acne. Avocados are high in linoleic acid, and people with lower levels of linoleic acid typically have a higher incidence of acne. When left on for short periods and rinsed with warm water, avocado oil can keep skin hydrated without leaving an oily residue. This may reduce the risk of acne. Applying avocado as a face mask also has anti-inflammatory effects, which can help to reduce the redness and inflammation associated with acne.
2) Makes your skin glow. Avocado contains essential antioxidants and vitamins that could help nourish the skin from within and impart a natural glow.
3) Reduces the effects of aging. Antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin in avocado fight free radical formation, which helps to tighten the skin.
4) Moisturizes hair. In avocado, proteins, amino acids, magnesium, folic acid, copper, and iron keep hair from looking dry and brittle.
5) Reduces or prevents dandruff. Alleviates scalp inflammation, stimulates hair follicles, and stimulates the scalp.
6) Encourages hair growth. Avocados can unclog the hair follicles and stimulate hair growth. It contains B vitamins, folic acid (iron), and potassium, which provide a healthy environment to support hair growth.
7) Reduces wrinkles. The fat found in avocados helps to increase skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
8) Moisturizes skin. Avocado is packed with healthy fats, and when applied to the skin, the natural oils nourish and hydrate your skin. They’re also packed with antioxidants and vitamins that can help combat redness and inflammation.
Avocado face mask
Scoop out an avocado, mash it into a paste, and add a tablespoon of honey or yogurt. Apply the paste to your skin and let it dry for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cold water and pat dry. Use the mask at least three times a week for best results. Benefits of this face mask include:
- Skin moisturizer
- Removes dead skin
- Unclogs pores to prevent acne
- Plumps the skin
- Provides glowing skin
- Reduces wrinkles
Avocado hair mask
Mix mashed avocado with two tablespoons of argan, coconut, almond, or olive oil and apply it all over your hair and scalp. Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes before washing it off with mild shampoo. Benefits of this hair mask include:
- Repairs damaged hair
- Adds life to dry and brittle hair
- Nourishes and strengthens hair
- Softens hair
- Encourages healthy hair growth and prevents hair loss
- Gets rid of dandruff
- Boosts shine
*NOTE: If you’re unsure if you should use avocado in your hair, you can put a small amount on your forearm, wait 30 minutes and look for any adverse reactions.