Effective Date: July 1, 2017
Children Under 18:
50BOLD cares about protecting the privacy of our youth. We won’t knowingly allow anyone under the age of 18 to provide us any personally identifying information online. Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any personal information about themselves (such as their names, email addresses, and phone numbers) over the Internet, to us or to anyone else. We encourage you to become involved in your children’s online experience, and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones. If you’re under 18, please DO NOT register for any of our Services or provide us with any personally identifying information (such as your name, email address or phone number).
Information Collected Through Our Services:
The information we gather through our Services falls into two categories: (1) information you voluntarily supply to us when you register, purchase magazine subscriptions or initiate other transactions, participate in promotions or surveys, submit comments or questions or otherwise communicate with us or others through the Services, and (2) information collected automatically as you use our Services, including without limitation, information that may be collected through our mobile applications while they are in use or running in the background of your device. Third-party providers and advertisers featured on, or linked to or from, our Services may also gather information through processes that we don’t control and subject to their own separate privacy policies, which may differ from ours. Some of our Services also may participate in third-party advertising networks or similar services that collect information about your computer or device and your activity online and as a mobile user to tailor some of the advertising that you see on our Services and other third-party sites, mobile apps and marketing channels in their networks to your interests.
Registration and Other Personally Identifying Information
You may register to use certain features of our Services. When you register, we may collect personally identifying information, including your name, postal address, email address, user name and password, reminder questions and answers and communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive. We may also ask for information about your age, gender, hobbies, interests, preferences (such as your favorite foods, purchases or recipes) and the like, but you’re free to register for most of our Services without providing this additional information. When you register for one of our Services, the information you provide may be added to a centralized 50BOLD database so that you may be simultaneously registered for our other Services as well. In addition, when you use various aspects of our Services, we may ask you for personally identifying information, including when you order magazines or other products, complete a survey, enter a contest, or report a problem with our Services. We may also collect contact information for other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content or offers to your friends and associates. We use this information to facilitate the communications that you request. Please note that if you use any “send-to-a-friend” features of our Services, your email address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
Information Collected Automatically When You Use Our Services
50BOLD or third-party contractors we engage may collect certain information automatically when you use our Services, including but not limited to:
- Web pages, content and advertisements you view and links you click on while navigating within our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our video or audio content, such as the type of content accessed via our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our email messages, such as the links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions and the device you use to read emails;
- The site you visited before visiting the 50BOLD website and the site you visited after visiting the 50BOLD website;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address (a numerical address assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider so that other computers connected to the Internet can communicate with you online) that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Search terms you enter using our Services or on a referral site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Your device type, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, Internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone and the names, versions and package IDs of software installed on your device;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies (see additional descriptions of these terms below).
Personalization and Tracking Technologies
Like most website and mobile application operators, we, our service providers or other third parties acting on our behalf or with our permission, use embedded scripts, “cookies,” web beacons, device identifiers and other tracking technologies to operate, analyze and improve our Services and tailor content and advertising to user interests. Third-party companies that provide some of the tools and features accessible through our Services and advertisers and other companies involved in the delivery of advertisements you see on our Services and other websites also may use tracking technologies to collect information about your use of our Services.
Cookies are small amounts of data (often containing a unique identifier) that are stored in separate files within your computer or device’s Internet browser. Cookies are accessed and recorded by the websites you visit, and by the companies that deliver the advertisements you see on our services, so they can recognize the same browser navigating online. You can set your browser to accept or reject most cookies, or to notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) It is up to you to decide whether to allow us or third parties to set cookies, but if you block cookies, you may not be able to view or access some of the features of our Services. Please be aware that certain browsers cannot block or delete so-called “Flash” cookies, which use a feature of the Adobe Flash video player to store information on your computer.
Web Beacons and Other Tracking Technologies
Web beacons (sometimes called “transparent GIFs,” “clear GIFs,” or “pixel tags”) are small strings of code that embed a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email or advertisement. When your browser downloads a web beacon, the server that sends the corresponding image to your browser can recognize and store certain types of information such as cookies previously set, the time and date that you viewed the page embedded with the beacon and a description of that page.
Social Network Posting Tools and “Share” Features
Information We May Obtain From Other Sources:
We may combine any information collected through the Services with other information that we obtain about you, your computer, and/or device from other companies and sources, including third-party data suppliers and public databases. The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-visible data, such as your posts and submissions to blogs, video-sharing services, and other interactive forums; and
- Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
How We Use The Information We Collect:
Our primary goal in collecting information is to provide you with a customized experience when using our Services and to make them more valuable to you. Because our Services are supported by advertising, we also use the information we collect to help us and advertisers efficiently reach consumers who are most likely to be interested in particular products and services. We only use payment and identity verification information as necessary to complete a particular transaction, provide a requested service, enforce legal rights or comply with applicable law.
In addition, we and our authorized service providers generally use other information that we or they collect about you to:
- Customize the content you see when you use our Services and other services as you navigate online;
- Analyze, operate and improve our Services, and fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you email and electronic newsletters;
- Help recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting one of our Services;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards;
- Attribute content that you post to forums we operate on our Services;
- Recognize the same users as they access online or mobile services using multiple browsers or devices and deliver to them appropriate interest-based content and advertising;
- Provide you with special offers, promotions and information from companies within our corporate family, and select third parties in accordance with applicable law;
- Control the display of advertising and develop and deliver advertising tailored to your interests, including advertising that you see on our Services, advertising you see on third-party websites, mobile applications and email programs, and offers and advertising you may receive offline or as push-notifications, from us or others;
- Measure and analyze visitor traffic and usage patterns and improve the quality and effectiveness of our content, features, advertisements, and other communications;
- Conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting;
- Understand whether our users read email messages and click on links contained within those messages;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, comply with applicable law
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
How We Disclose Information and Your Related Opt-out Choices:
Except as otherwise expressly noted herein or within the Services, we may share any information collected through our Services, including without limitation, your name, postal address (and any other information we combine with that information) with our our provider partners and service providers, and with carefully selected third-party organizations and marketers of products and services potentially of interest to you. The following describes some of the circumstances in which we may share information about our users:
We share our users’ email addresses with service providers that send email messages and deliver targeted advertising on our behalf. These service providers may collect data about how you interact with those messages (including information about whether and when you opened a particular message or clicked on a link within a message and the device you used to do so) and analyze it in conjunction with similar information they collect when you respond to emails they send on behalf of their other clients who are not affiliated with us. They use this email response information in combination with your email address to target and optimize the delivery of emails and email advertising they send on our behalf and for their other clients. We may also provide our service providers with lists of our user email addresses in a hashed, encrypted or anonymized form that they use to recognize our users as they navigate online or use third-party email services and enable the delivery of interest-based advertising to those users. We do not authorize our service providers to share your email address with their other clients.
If you use our Services to sign up for special email offers from third-party advertisers, we will also share your email address and any other information you provided with your request with the advertisers you selected. Except as described in this policy, we will not sell or rent your email address to unaffiliated third parties for their email marketing purposes, without your consent.
If, during or immediately following registration, you choose to access offers for goods or services that are available from selected third-party companies (“Co-Registration Vendors”), we may make certain contact and demographic information you provide (e.g., name, age, and/or email address) available to these vendors with your consent.
Provider Partners and Service Providers
Aggregated and Anonymous Information
We and our service providers may combine information about you with information that we or they collect about other users of our Services and share it in a form that does not identify you personally. We and our service providers may also anonymize information by removing any information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifying to you. We may use aggregated information or other anonymous information and disclose it to third parties as we deem appropriate.
Information You Post to Blogs, Discussion Forums and Community or Social Networking Areas
Keep in mind that any information that you choose to post to blogs, discussion forums, or other community or social networking services that we offer can be seen, collected and used by anyone who has access to the applicable service. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Legal Compliance, Business Transfers and Other Disclosures
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or within our Services, we may occasionally release information about users of our Services when we deem such release appropriate to comply with law, respond to compulsory process or law enforcement requests, or protect the rights, property or safety of users of our Services, the public, 50BOLD, or any third party. Over time, we may reorganize or transfer various assets and lines of business. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or on our Services, we reserve the right to disclose or transfer any information we collect to third parties in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, foreclosure, liquidation, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of 50BOLD.
Your Opt-Out Choices
To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please send your request to us via email: [email protected]
Security, Retention and Storage of Information:
We use commercially reasonable procedures to protect the personally-identifying information that we collect. No security system is impenetrable, however. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that information you supply won’t be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.