Remember the hilarious 90s TV sitcom Martin starring Martin Lawrence and Tisha Campbell? Well, Martin’s character lived for his momma’s biscuits and would do anything for them. The biscuits were definitely his weakness.
Well, Martin’s mom has some competition!
There is nothing better than warm, right-out-of-the-oven, flaky biscuits that melt in your mouth. These baked mounds of deliciousness go with practically any meal. Biscuits especially go great with a hearty beef stew or earthy homemade soup. Homemade biscuits are just perfectly baked for crumbling, dunking, dipping, and of course, sopping up.
Here is a recipe for cheesy biscuits that will put Martin’s momma to shame!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, garlic and pepper flakes. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Drop dough by heaping 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
1 biscuit: 237 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.