Far too many of you are stuck in your face-beating ways, refusing to budge from beauty products you’ve been using since the year of the flood! You go about your daily makeup routine of applying the very same foundation, powder, lipstick shade, eyeshadow, never paying much attention to what is going on with your ever-changing skin. You are stuck in a beauty rut with no way out! The makeup products you’ve been using since your youth will not work for you now. Aging skin has different needs than that smooth supple skin you had of yesteryear.
All is not lost!
There are beauty tricks you can use with age-appropriate products that can actually make you look more radiant, rested and OK, maybe a smidge more youthful. Just think of these tips as age-defying advice that will help give you good face as you go about your day.
- Apply a rich anti-aging cream all over your face that will give you a nice glow, protect your skin and not allow a foundation to fall into cracks; follow with a tinted primer to even out skin tone. One to try: Body Merry Retinol Surge Moisturizer with Vitamin A, E and green tea, it addresses wrinkles, fine lines and uneven skin tone; $20, Amazon.com
- Use a concealer that will not dry out your skin. Too may concealers have a drying effect, they cover blemishes but sink into fine lines. As skin ages, many women find themselves dealing with skin issues like rosacea, pigmentation, thread veins and dark under eye circles. Look for a concealer that covers skin imperfections without drying. One to try: Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Corrector & Concealer works with your skin and not against it by covering flaws and hydrating; $44, BobbiBrownCosmetics.com
- Face powder can be detrimental to aging skin especially if you apply too much and use a formula that is dry and cakey. Use just a small amount of powder to set makeup and dust over eyelids and in the T-zone area to get rid of shine. One to try: MAC Next to Nothing Powder is a soft matte powder that is oil-free but far from drying. It allows your skin to show through thanks to microlight boosters that amp skin glow; $29, Bloomingdale’s
- Eyelids wrinkle as we age which makes applying eyeshadow challenging. A silky matte eyeshadow works best for aging eyelids; steer clear of shimmery shadows which can draw attention to creases. Apply shadow by shading the full lid like a cloud. One to try: Tarte Tarlette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadow Palette contains 12 all-matte shades that are blendable, glides on like a cream and provide long-lasting wear that never looks patchy; $39, Sephora
- Eyebrows get squirrelly, thinner and lighter over time due to years of plucking and waxing. A full dramatic brow will give you a more youthful look. Consider professionally dyeing your brows about once a month then fill in any spaces with a brow powder. One to try: Benefit’s Brow Zings offers 12-hour wear and comes in a perfectly paired kit that includes eyebrow powder & wax, mini slant tweezers and NEW dual-sided extendable applicator, everything you need to sculpt, shape and fill-in aging brows; $32, BenefitCosmetics.com